TMS Therapy for Anxiety Questions and Answers
Are you dealing with anxiety and your antidepressants are not working or you are having a bad reaction to them? Many of our patients have found great success with our TMS therapy for anxiety at Brain Health Center, contact us today to learn more! For more information, call us or schedule an appointment online! We are conveniently located at 535 West Second Street (“West on 2nd” building) Suite 205 Lexington KY 40508.
Table of Contents:
TMS Therapy is short for Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Therapy and is a type of brain stimulation therapy offered at Brain Health Center.
Our TMS therapy is a non-invasive therapy that uses electromagnetic pulses to stimulate the nerve cells, which can improve symptoms of neurological or mental health disorders in patients.
TMS is known to help treat patients with depression, but it also is helping treat other disorders including anxiety.
TMS Therapy is offered by our TMS specialists, and is offered as an outpatient procedure, so it can be easily done in our clinic.
TMS Therapy helps to treat psychological disorders in patients including depression, OCD and to ease anxiety. With anxiety, it is often noted that there is an increased nerve cell activity in the prefrontal cortex. TMS therapy can reduce this activity in this particular region.
We ask that you prepare for your TMS Therapy by removing anything that may be sensitive to magnets including jewelry. Get into a relaxed state of mind, and ask any question before hand so you feel more comfortable going into the therapy.
During your therapy, you should expect the following:
1. Our specialists will offer you to wear earplugs, this is to help minimize the clicking sound of the magnetic impulses you will hear. You will be seated in a comfortable chair and will be awake during the therapy.
2. If this is your first TMS Therapy session, our specialists will measure your head to determine where it’s best to place the magnetic coil. They will also take measurements to offer a personalized setting to our TMS machine for you for future appointments.
3. Our specialists will then place the coil above the front area of your brain and begin the therapy treatment.
4. You will begin to hear a clicking sound as the magnetic impulses begin to be released, you may also start to feel a tapping or knocking sensation beneath the magnetic coil that was placed on your head.
5. The therapy can last anywhere from 5 minutes, and you will be able to drive yourself home after the therapy treatment and resume normal activities.
We highly recommend repeating our therapy for 5 days a week, for about 4 to 6 weeks consecutively. Each length of the treatment is varied, depending on each patient’s response and specific condition.
Many clinics that offer TMS therapy accept insurance to help cover the cost, check with your individual insurance provider to make sure they do offer coverage. Each health insurance providers coverage will depend on your individual medical history and many require you try at least four antidepressants before receiving TMS therapy coverage. If you have negative reactions to antidepressants, they may also provide coverage.
TMS Therapy cost varies from clinic to clinic; however, it stays within the same range. Call today to book your consultation appointment to go over what therapy options would be best suited for your individual needs and cost.
TMS Therapy is available and offered at our clinic Brain Health Center. Our doctors are available to provide this specialized service to any individual who may be experiencing anxiety, and want help to alleviate and ease the symptoms of anxiety disorders.
TMS therapy helps to target the activity in your nerve cells located in your brain, which eases your anxiety. Our therapy may even improve your motor dysfunction, and can possibly help with other issues including Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis or stroke rehabilitation. You may be a good candidate if you are young, low risk of seizures and have not felt any relief from antidepressants or would prefer to not take antidepressants. If you are interested in how our TMS therapy could help you, call us or simply book a consultation appointment online today. We serve patients from Lexington KY, Georgetown KY, Brannon Woods KY, Wyandotte KY, Colby KY, Versailles KY, and Keene KY.